Reaper Chickpeas and Greens
This is a quick and easy recipe for creating an Indian-inspired dish featuring Secret Aardvark Reaper Smoked Hot Sauce and simple ingredients you may already have on-hand in your refrigerator and pantry. It makes for a hearty, vegan-friendly side dish — or a simple meal. The recipe uses Kale, but you can use whatever greens you have handy: spinach, chard or collard greens are great, too.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large bunch of Kale or other leafy greens, chopped
- 1 large onion, small diced
- 3-4 cloves (~1tbsp) garlic, minced
- 3 cups (28 oz can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Secret Aardvark Reaper Smoked Hot Sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste mixed with ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and lightly golden. Add the garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir the chickpeas, garam masala, turmeric, coriander, cumin, Reaper Hot Sauce, and salt into the pan. In a small bowl mix the tomato paste with the ¼ cup of water until smooth, then add to the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped kale (or greens of choice) and a small sprinkle of salt to pan. Let the greens wilt for about 1 minute to shrink somewhat before trying to stir them in. Carefully stir as the greens wilt to mix in fully. Sauté an additional 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice, and stir, cooking 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning/sauce to desired heat level.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or scallion greens, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and serve with rice or flatbread!